Our family has been homeschooling for over 8 years now. The longer I homeschool, the more I encounter friends who have returned to the government school in some form or another (public school at home program, charter etc.) My homeschool mentor warned me that one day I would feel alone. She said that one day I would feel as though I was walking a narrow road…within a narrow road. She was right. I do feel alone these days in my homeschool journey. I only know of three or four families who are still planning to homeschool through Jr. High and highschool. Perhaps they will jump ship as well…but my decision to homeschool will remain strong as long as I am physically able. Those few families who are continuing to school through highschool are probably the ones who are homeschooling because they are convicted to do so. They are not homeschooling for academic reasons, or because they thought they’d try something new. They are not homeschooling because their children asked to be homeschooled or because they are irritated with their child’s public schoolteacher. For the true Biblical homeschooler, it is a calling. We are called to teach, mentor, and disciple our children; and this calling is from the Lord.
I thought I’d list my top 50 reasons for homeschooling…. for my benefit and maybe yours. I love lists, and enjoy making them up. This list will help remind me and perhaps renew me when I feel unmotivated. This list is for fun but My # 1 reason to homeschool really is all I need to remember.
50. Because we like to stay out of the “rat race” somewhat!
49. Because I can save money on clothes, school supplies
48. Because we are free to set own daily routine & schedule
47. Because I can teach teach my children life-skills
46. Because we can vacation anytime of the year we want
45. Because we can have more time to work on special projects
44.Because of Socialization (We want our children to have positive socialization experiences)
43. Because of Individualized instruction (based on child’s leaning style)
42. Because we want to avoid bullies!!
41. Because we want to shelter children from harmful aspects of our culture
40. Because we desire to extend the joys of childhood
39. Because we want to be able to pray whenever we want to
38. Because we want to work on developing good habits
37. Because we want to practice what we preach
36.Because we want to sleep in on some days 🙂
35. Because we want to stay up late with company or a good movie sometimes
34. Because we want to hug our children throughout the day
33. Because we want to choose our own course of study
32. Because we want to avoid violence (teacher molestation, shootings etc.)
33. Because we want to learn along with children
32. Because siblings can nurture relationships
31. Because homeschooling allows for more family discussions
30. Because there is no homework!
29. Because of more family togetherness
28. Because there is more time for music & art
27. Because the public school gives too much busywork & paperwork
26. Because avoiding peer-pressure is important
25. Because we don’t get the flu as much
24. Because we want to play with children of all ages (not just own age & grade)
23. Because we want a more complete education
22. Because we want to teach creation science
21. Because we want to teach christian worldview & apologetics
20. Because we like to call or skype dad during the day
19. Because we want to practice hospitality more easily
18. Because we want to volunteer or help a neighbor more easily
17. Because we want to keep working on a math problem until we get it!
16. Because we like to read books together as a family
15. Because we enjoy going on family walks and bike rides
14. Because we have freedom to be ourselves without fear of rejection
13. Because we get to spend more time with grandparents
12. Because we are able to choose curriculum that in Christian perspective
11. Because we can weave biblical worldview into all subjects
10. Because we want to make the best educational choices for our children
9. Because we are able to have more family meals together…and children learn to cook
8. Because academic subjects can be tailored to the individual students
7. Because Dad can declare any day a holiday and we can have a family fun day 🙂
6. Because we can spend more time on areas we are struggling with
5. Because the time with my children passes way too fast
4. Because the homeschooling lifestyle is wholesome and natural
3. Because life is short and homeschooling allows us to prioritize and focus on the eternal
2.Because I love spending time with my children and truly enjoy them!
1.The number one reason that we homeschool our children is because the Lord told us in his word to teach, train, disciple and mentor our children….and our prayer is that our children will follow the Lord all the days of their lives.
Why are you homeschooling???