Before I even began homeschooling, I went to have lunch at my dearest friends home one spring day. I loved to pick her brain, look around at her home and glean anything I could from her because she was living the dream I wanted to live. She found much delight in her young son, enjoyed being a “keeper- at- home” and was diligent about training and discipling him. While browsing around her kitchen, I noticed these 21 rules posted on her refrigerator. She told me about them and how they helped her in training her son. I decided to use them as well and they have been such a blessing. Now that my boys are older we do not refer to them as much, but in the early child training days, I would use these 21 rules and refer to them many times during the day. To my children they were the law of our home. We memorized them, used them for our copywork, and even added music and sang them. Today Grandma still chides, “number 16…don’t forget about rule number 16 ! ” because our family has a difficult time with this one. I hope you will benefit from this helpful child training tool as well. ~Anne
1. We obey God.
2. We love, honor and pray for one another.
3. We tell the truth.
4. We consider one another’s interests ahead of our own.
5. We speak quietly and respectfully with one another.
6. We do not hurt one another with unkind words or deeds.
7. When someone needs correction, we correct him in love.
8. When someone is sorry, we forgive him.
9. When someone is sad, we comfort him.
10. When someone is happy, we rejoice with him.
11. When we have something nice to share, we share it.
12. When we have work to do, we do it without complaining.
13. We take good care of everything that God has given us.
14. We do not create unnecessary work for others.
15. When we open something, we close it.
16. When we take something out, we put it away.
17. When we turn something on, we turn it off.
18. When we make a mess, we clean it up.
19. When we do not know what to do, we ask.
20. When we go out, we act just as if we were in this house.
21. When we disobey or forget any of the 21 Rules of This House, we accept
the discipline and instruction of the Lord.